In the spring 2009, a new influenza strain A(H1N1)pdm09 aka “swine flu” appeared, causing the world-wide pandemic. Luckily, swine flu happened to be a very mild infection, and the harm was insignificant. I have studied the Finnish branch of the global pandemic since 2010. I’ve made my master thesis about it, published a paper and going to submit another paper soon. This is a story about the data visualization in my upcoming paper. Next post will be devoted to the visualization of the results.
I will start with the data visualization I made 4 years ago for my Master’s thesis:
(A) The number of new cases per week. The horizontal axis shows the week, from week 18 of 2009 to week 5 of 2010. The data consist of several layers: cases identified with A influenza, cases specifically identified with A(H1N1) influenza; cases identified with A(H1N1) influenza and assigned to hospital. (B) The total number of cases by age group. (C) The number of cases per 10000 individuals by age group. (D) The total number of cases by region. (E) The number of cases per 10000 individuals by region.
I still think it was a nice visualization (especially I love the idea of showing absolute values with bars and relative values with ticks), but now I’m able to see a lot of mistakes.